Spudnik Press Cooperative is a comprehensive cooperative artist studio dedicated to encouraging new talent
in fine art printmaking in an alternative art space. Open to all levels of printmakers, Spudnik Press provides
common studio space capable of printing traditional as well as photographic litho, relief, and silkscreen
prints. Additionally, Spudnik Press fosters a greater public awareness and understanding of prints and artmaking
in general by offering demonstrations, workshop, critiques, and gallery shows.
The Studio Assistant Position will work closely with the Executive Director, supporting all programming,
including marketing, outreach, shop maintenance, education and fundraising. The studio assistant will be
expected to seek new revenue resources, mainly through creating a marketing plan and materials for
consignment printing. The studio assisant will provide support for artists using the studio as well as
administrative support. This is a part-time position for 15 hours per week. Day-to-day job duties include the
• Manage physical space, cleanliness and safety. Maintain inventory and supplies.
• Monitor Open Studio sessions as needed. Coordinate monitor schedules and training. Provide
support, feedback, and additional training to monitors as needed.
• Work with Director to advertise and organize upcoming events, including coordination of volunteers,
installation of artwork, distribution of press releases, and communication with participating artists
• Assist with implementation of marketing and advertising, including design and printing of marketing
materials, web marketing, distribution of materials, and occassional participation in area events.
• Create and initiate a marketing plan for consignment printing.
• Regular website maitenance and frequent updates of content.
• Work with interns and volunteers to assist with Studio Assistant responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will be able to work with Spudnik Press to expand the position over time, including
printing professional consignment jobs, accounting, communication with teaching artists, students, and
members, and coordinating special events and projects, as well as teaching opportunities.
• Extensive experience creating fine art prints utilizing multiple processes, such as screenprinting,
intaglio, lithography, letterpress, relief, and offset printing.
• Samples of prints exemplifying professional quality printing
• Experience working (as employee or independent artist) in a professional printshop or outside of a
• Adminstrative, sustomer service, or fundraising experience
• Comfortable using Adobe software
• Strong belief in the importance of community creative spaces and interest in utilizing Spudnik Press’
• Interest in the field of education, teaching, and community engagement
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong work ethic and ability to work independently
• Strong communication skills and outgoing demeanor
Compensation is $10/hour with complimentary Keyholder access while an employee of Spudnik Press.
Keyholder access is valued at $120/month and allows unlimited use of the studio and general supplies.
For consideration, please electronically submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to Angee Lennard
(firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin June 8, 2011.
Position begins on or near July 1, 2011
Spudnik Press Cooperative
1821 W Hubbard, Suite 302
Chicago IL, 60622